All workplaces should be free from sexual harassment and The Actors Temple is no exception. It is our policy to treat such matters very seriously, and in the light of recent news stories regarding sexual harassment and the abuse of power, we have taken the opportunity to remind our staff and students how to report any unwanted behaviours.
This policy aims to enable staff and students to challenge any unwanted behaviour in the workplace, and to outline how we will deal with any complaints of harassment that we receive. It also makes clear the standards of behaviour we expect from all who work here. We do not tolerate sexual harassment at The Actors Temple, and we will always investigate and take appropriate action.
If anyone at The Actors Temple has anything to bring to our attention they can contact either their tutor or colleague in the first instance or Ashlie Walker or Ellie Zeegen email@example.com. Any reports will be logged and treated with the utmost confidentiality.
1. You are entitled to work in an environment that is free from sexual harassment.
2. If something makes you uncomfortable, you have the right to ask for it to stop.
3. If others appear to feel differently that does not mean that you are in the wrong. It is what makes you feel uncomfortable that matters.
4. You should not be made to feel uncomfortable for asking people to treat you in a respectful manner. If you raise something, it is reasonable to expect colleagues to seek to amend their behaviour.
5. We want you to feel empowered to deal with less serious matters in your own way, but we realise that this is not always easy. You have the right to expect the assistance of your tutor and Senior Management in dealing with serious issues, or with less serious issues that can’t be resolved.
6. We will always deal with any complaint from the starting point that the person complaining is telling the truth.
7. You will not be criticised for raising matters which others may feel are trivial. What you do or don’t find acceptable is a matter for you, not for others.
8. You have the right to raise things in confidence or anonymously.
9. Where acts of sexual harassment are serious, persistent or repeated despite them being “called out”, The Actors Temple will take action, including the use of the disciplinary procedure at all levels, including dismissal where merited. Every complaint brought formally to the management’s attention will be properly investigated. This will be the case even if the matter happened in the past.
10. It is always your right to make a complaint when you have been made to feel uncomfortable, and it is The Actors Temple duty to provide a workplace free from harassment. You will never be treated unfairly for making a genuine informal or formal harassment complaint, even if it doesn’t result in formal action against the other person.